So, I've been here on DW for a while now. I like it, but a list of pros and cons may help (me, at least).
- It's not LJ, not so owned and run by people for whom my feelings are between unsure and plain old hostile, and so I'm confident that they aren't doing their best to make money out of me in underhand ways while providing the minimal service they can get away with.
- There seems to be a lively developer community, which is a positive sign for the future.
- Lots of women are involved - big up the sisterhood (or something).
- It's dead easy to use (though as I'm a long time LJ user, perhaps I'm in an unusual position here).
- There's no photo hosting. I'm still using LJ scrapbook, but I'm not too excited about it. I have a flickr account, but I like the idea of keeping my photos where my blog lives.
- I don't know anyone on here. Hmm, this is a big problem. I know people on LJ, and know several of them very well. I can syndicate their stuff to here, but it's not the same. I was excited about the off-site friends project and saddened when it didn't happen. At the moment I only see LJ public posts, so some people I never see at all.
I'd like to make more friends here, and sometimes go looking for people, but the usership is skewed towards "fandom", which is of no interest to me. I even had to put it in quotes. One good way to make new friends is through the people you already know, but that relies on already knowing some people...
Executive summary: I'd like this to work, but I'm talking to myself. Ho hum.